Tuesday, April 21, 2009

fresh fruit = healthy, right?

I get in trouble a lot for the amount of carbs I eat. Not necessarily 'cause I need to watch my weight, but because, my mother says, it's unhealthy and I need protein. It doesn't help that I don't particularly care for red meat.

One of my favorite forms of delicious carbohydrates is a French country loaf from Whole Foods. They're 99 cents, so I buy two every week. Whole Foods may be over-priced and overboard with the Green thing, but they know how to make some bread.

A couple months ago, after making desserts for a get-together we were having, I popped a slice into the toaster for a quick snack. And then I noticed it: leftover strawberry frosting. Do you know what strawberry frosting and warm toasted bread is? THE BEST THING... SINCE SLICED BREAD.

It is made with fresh strawberries. Therefore it is good for you.

The frosting was for (I'm sure) equally good strawberry cupcakes, but the frosting was the only recipe we kept. I made some the other week especially for my bread.

RECIPE TIME! (edited, slightly)

With electric mixer, make 1 cup of softened butter all floofy. If you are using unsalted butter, add a dish dash of salt. Slowly pour in 3 1/2 cups of powdered sugar (as opposed to 3 cups of powdered sugar because the other 1/2 cup blew in your face when it hits the mixer). A 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla (not extract, if at all possible. The real vanilla is so much better) and 4-5 Tablespoons of pureed strawberry. That's about five or six strawberries I think. Please take the little green hats off first.

Toast bread, spread on, and tell yourself that the frosting is good for you because it has real strawberries. Don't think about the 5 trillion grams of sugar you're eating.

4 comments:

quact said...

Slice tomatoes and spread them on the bread. Sprinkle with sugar. Eat and enjoy. Once you have tasted it you'll agree it tastes just as good.

tiph said...

I must say, sugar on tomatoes does not sound particularly appetizing, but I'm willing to give it a shot. :D

Evelyn said...

mmm strawberries :)

apoorva said...

Thank you for Such wonderful information….If You love fruits and await on fruits just as I do……..Please Check out the blog mentioned below, its really cool, Its one of the best blogs I’ve come across …….Enjoy !!!!

http://staysharpwithfruits.blogspot.com
http://staysharpwithdiet.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

who i am!

Tiph used to be this weird hippie chick who sewed things and drank tea and rode bikes and wrote silly things. Then, college came along, and now she's this weird hippie chick with math in her brain and notebooks full of indefinite integrals. And hardly any time to write. This is her space. Thankfully, space is a vacuum and any complaints you may have cannot be heard.

Flickr

Woo! You reached the End of the Page! You rock. Bored yet? If not, click the handy-dandy next button up there (it's there, right?), but otherwise, visit my Flickr page or my Etsy shop. Also, don't forget to subscribe to the blog before you go!

About a third of the credit for this template goes to Ourblogtemplates.com. The rest of that fraction goes to Tiph's incessant tinkering and exploding the CSS 'til it worked.

Back to TOP