Tuesday, April 28, 2009

lists of 7: internet browsers (part 2)

Last time, I talked about SeaMonkey, Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Flock. SO, to continue, on to numero tres!


3. Apple Safari. Let's get one thing out in the open: Safari is a lot like Chrome. Not saying that anyone copy-catted or anything, it just has the same simple design and basic layout. I'm sure Safari has its advantages... somehow... but some of you already know how I feel about Apple, so this is slightly biased. I wasn't impressed, either way.


Who should use it: Mac-lovers, liberal-arts students, people without a job - oh wait, I already said that, people who like fast browsing.


2. FirefoxI've been using Firefox for five kazillion years, even before all the cool kids were using it. I'm not really sure that Firefox has any cons whatsoever. Add-ons galore (and if you make it cluttered, that's your problem), quick surfing, and lots of add-ons, also. I mention it twice, because anything that Firefox can't do itself, it has an add-on that will. Syncing bookmarks? Try Xmarks. Firefox. Does. Everything. 


Who should use it: Everyone, unless you like foolishness like IE. Safe, fast, and fun = Firefox. Get it. 


1. Opera. When I first downloaded Opera with all the other browsers, I had the attitude of "Meh, that one can be tested later." Silly me. While at first the replacement of add-ons to widgets annoyed me, I got over it pretty quickly. It has a really great New Tab default called Speed Dial that let's you choose your nine favorite sites for easy clicking or keyboard short-cutting (Ctrl+1, Ctrl+2, etc). The address bar shows not only a visual progress bar, but also the number of elements left to load (e.g. "Elements 2/7"). There are built-in mail and IRC clients, but I haven't used them since I dislike both. Also, one may change the skins of Opera - I'm currently using the Chinese Opera skin.


Who should use it: Everyone, even IF you like IE nonsense. With all the widgets you can get floating around the desktop, I'm sure you'll feel right at home. 


Yep, that was long. For the record, I'm using Opera. But don't worry Firefox, you still have my loyalties.

1 comments:

quact said...

I've never tried Opera. Pretty dependent on firefox now I suppose.

Good posts though :), and a proper opinion of Apple :D

Post a Comment

who i am!

Tiph used to be this weird hippie chick who sewed things and drank tea and rode bikes and wrote silly things. Then, college came along, and now she's this weird hippie chick with math in her brain and notebooks full of indefinite integrals. And hardly any time to write. This is her space. Thankfully, space is a vacuum and any complaints you may have cannot be heard.

Flickr

Woo! You reached the End of the Page! You rock. Bored yet? If not, click the handy-dandy next button up there (it's there, right?), but otherwise, visit my Flickr page or my Etsy shop. Also, don't forget to subscribe to the blog before you go!

About a third of the credit for this template goes to Ourblogtemplates.com. The rest of that fraction goes to Tiph's incessant tinkering and exploding the CSS 'til it worked.

Back to TOP