Tuesday, September 29, 2009

nothing normal about this

It's common knowledge that Mondays are the best days out of the week.

And by "common knowledge," I of course mean, "Tiph's knowledge." And by "Tiph's knowledge," I mean "Duh."
Mondays are awesome. It's really hard to get around that fact of life.

In school: The kids and I have been getting slightly bored with classes recently. After much deliberation, I realized that I was doing things totally wrong - I was teaching just like a normal school would! Isn't the point of home school to be, well, different? So we revised the school plans a bit. We won't be following a timeline in history anymore, instead we'll focus on important regions or time periods. Say, Germany. Or the Roman Empire (which is actually a year-long thing for them already, built in to learning Latin).

Also, they get to pick electives that we'll do on a bi-weekly or monthly basis, depending on when we finish. Beth (12) picked calligraphy, and Jeremiah (10) chose skateboarding. (If you want to tell me that skateboarding is not an elective, allow me to introduce you to the previous paragraph.) Since I have to test out everything BEFORE I pass it on to them, my hands are covered in ink as I type this. It's dry, don't worry Mr. Laptop (his real name is Penguin).

We'll be doing the origins of calligraphy, which includes Chinese brush calligraphy. So, Tiph thinks, let's do this. What better character to try but Monday?

Every decent calligrapher has his or her own seal, that works as a signature for their artwork. Further back in time, the artists had two seals - one bearing their name given at birth, and another used only for their craft. Well, for some reason, I didn't one when I was born (what's that about?), and I can't procure one under such short notice, so I made do with coloured pencils.

I also organized my Flickr a bit, and I really need to organize the tags on this blog. Just not tonight. But seriously, I have 29 posts tagged "life"?? Of COURSE it's life, what else would it be? Death?

Anyway. Happy Monday, everyone!

(For more information on the history of Chinese calligraphy, I recommend Between Heaven and Earth by Shi Bo. It's a compact, informative book full of examples and artwork.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

who i am!

Tiph used to be this weird hippie chick who sewed things and drank tea and rode bikes and wrote silly things. Then, college came along, and now she's this weird hippie chick with math in her brain and notebooks full of indefinite integrals. And hardly any time to write. This is her space. Thankfully, space is a vacuum and any complaints you may have cannot be heard.

Flickr

Woo! You reached the End of the Page! You rock. Bored yet? If not, click the handy-dandy next button up there (it's there, right?), but otherwise, visit my Flickr page or my Etsy shop. Also, don't forget to subscribe to the blog before you go!

About a third of the credit for this template goes to Ourblogtemplates.com. The rest of that fraction goes to Tiph's incessant tinkering and exploding the CSS 'til it worked.

Back to TOP