Saturday, October 3, 2009

twilight, fair bright

(twilight, fair bright on Flickr)

Tuesday afternoon, my family and I visited the county fair. Since we're out in Country Land, the usual livestock show probably enjoyed a large crowd, as well as the 3H Club and the quilters and pie-makers. We were not part of that crowd, so I wouldn't actually know.

See, we only go to the fair for one reason: the carnival rides.
Who cares about first place pigs or blue ribbon apple pies? Not me. But the loud, dazzlingly bright carnival, complete with smells of fake-butter popcorn and funnel cakes mingling with generator grease - that's the life for me.

Traditionally, the carousel is the first ride we go on. Yelling at each other over the blaring stereos and hundreds of other voices, atop horses or llamas or whatever animal that is, we make our plans to knock out most - if not all - of the carnival rides.
Complain about which rides are missing this year.
Argue about who gets to ride with whom.
Decide which ones are mandatory and which are not.
Fight about which to go on first, which to go on more than once.
There is a method to our madness.

Mama buys us candy apples; baby Caleb steals a bite.

The Ring of Fire, the Himalayan, some gravity one (we were smashed against the walls as the ride spun), all gifting us with adrenaline rushes. As the sun finally set, I held on to children's hands and shirts and arms (whichever was convenient at the time).

The older kids and I walked along the game-and-prize booths, trying to figure out the various ploys the fastest. The spinning wheel never lands on red, the rope ladder is rigged, the darts are bent. A cage full of iguanas, some of them dead, sits on the counter of a ring-toss game.
"Do you want to try to win an iguana, kids?" a gruff-voiced woman asks.
"No thanks," I have to reply, while my siblings pull my hands and whisper that they want an iguana, can they have an iguana?

Finally it's time to leave; our mom, ever the germophobe, gives us hand sanitizer. Another tradition: funnel cake as we leave the park. We eat it as we walk back to the truck, leaving the lights and noise behind, as powdered sugar sticks to fingers and chins.

Goodbye, fair, until next time.

4 comments:

James said...

:D, I once found a website that explained which games it was actually still possible to win, and how to do it, the ladder etc.
;-)

tiph said...

Too bad I haven't found that website. :(

Jessica NicDhòmhnaill said...

FUN! I love fairs!! I agree about the rides...that's all I really go for too. *grin*

So did you go on one called the "Zipper"? I'm not sure if all carnival rides are similiar but this one you're in a zipper-shaped pod thing and you go around upside down pretty fast? I went on it with a friend we yelled so loud. lol.

Love the pictures!! Your siblings are CUTE!

tiph said...

I ALMOST wrote something about the Zipper, actually! I've only ever been on the Zipper once, and it threw me around the little pod thing so much (and bruised me so much) that I never went on it again. It was like being thrown around a cage at high speeds. Not cool.
Anyway, I was going to write something to the effect of "We avoided the Zipper, as usual," but didn't because of all the extra explaining. And look, I did extra explaining anyway! :D:D

Thanks, and aren't they?! :D

Post a Comment

who i am!

Tiph used to be this weird hippie chick who sewed things and drank tea and rode bikes and wrote silly things. Then, college came along, and now she's this weird hippie chick with math in her brain and notebooks full of indefinite integrals. And hardly any time to write. This is her space. Thankfully, space is a vacuum and any complaints you may have cannot be heard.

Flickr

Woo! You reached the End of the Page! You rock. Bored yet? If not, click the handy-dandy next button up there (it's there, right?), but otherwise, visit my Flickr page or my Etsy shop. Also, don't forget to subscribe to the blog before you go!

About a third of the credit for this template goes to Ourblogtemplates.com. The rest of that fraction goes to Tiph's incessant tinkering and exploding the CSS 'til it worked.

Back to TOP