Wednesday, December 16, 2009

how tiph makes a cape (or, how to make an easy project really hard)

So, I decided it would be cool to make my youngest sister Melody a cape for Hanukkah. I figured - Hey, they're just big chunks of fabric sewn together, not too hard, right?

Right!
Making a cape is actually pretty simple. I bought a pattern, so basically all I had to do was cut out four pieces of fabric and sew on the dotted lines. Should've taken four hours, max.

Notice the word "should've." Because, I didn't do that. Nope. I cut out the fabric, and then decided that my cape needed
  • double lining
  • batting
  • quilted batting
  • pockets
  • a hood
I put quilted batting in bold because it's the most time-consuming part of this entire process. To make matters worse, I thought swirlies would be cute quilted on the lining. Very cute - but very hard to do with a sewing machine.

(me, quilting in the near-dark at 1 am)
All that complaining done - I can now say that I'm very proud of it so far. I think the extra time is proving to be well worth it, and as of yet I have not had to undo/redo any of my work. And I'm getting sewing callouses on my fingertips from my hand-sewing projects, too. :D

I'll be putting up our handmade gifts (that I and my sister Beth made) sometime later this week, in collage form (consider it the extra holiday issue). Til then, a purpley-sunset-out-of-focus-but-still-awesome photo.


2 comments:

Leah said...

That's cool. I've been wanting to make a cape but haven't gotten around to it yet with school and stuff...the last things I sewed were 5 costumes in 2 weeks for Reformation day. Looking forward to the final pictures of the cape!

tiph said...

Five costumes in two days - now that's something to put on a resume! I'm looking forward to being finished with the cape. :D

Post a Comment

who i am!

Tiph used to be this weird hippie chick who sewed things and drank tea and rode bikes and wrote silly things. Then, college came along, and now she's this weird hippie chick with math in her brain and notebooks full of indefinite integrals. And hardly any time to write. This is her space. Thankfully, space is a vacuum and any complaints you may have cannot be heard.

Flickr

Woo! You reached the End of the Page! You rock. Bored yet? If not, click the handy-dandy next button up there (it's there, right?), but otherwise, visit my Flickr page or my Etsy shop. Also, don't forget to subscribe to the blog before you go!

About a third of the credit for this template goes to Ourblogtemplates.com. The rest of that fraction goes to Tiph's incessant tinkering and exploding the CSS 'til it worked.

Back to TOP