So, I decided it would be cool to make my youngest sister Melody a cape for Hanukkah. I figured - Hey, they're just big chunks of fabric sewn together, not too hard, right?
Making a cape is actually pretty simple. I bought a pattern, so basically all I had to do was cut out four pieces of fabric and sew on the dotted lines. Should've taken four hours, max.
Notice the word "should've." Because, I didn't do that. Nope. I cut out the fabric, and then decided that my cape needed
- double lining
- quilted batting
- a hood
(me, quilting in the near-dark at 1 am)
All that complaining done - I can now say that I'm very proud of it so far. I think the extra time is proving to be well worth it, and as of yet I have not had to undo/redo any of my work. And I'm getting sewing callouses on my fingertips from my hand-sewing projects, too. :D
I'll be putting up our handmade gifts (that I and my sister Beth made) sometime later this week, in collage form (consider it the extra holiday issue). Til then, a purpley-sunset-out-of-focus-but-still-awesome photo.