Friday, January 1, 2010

best of 2009

Happy birthday to you, Sharpie Chronicles.
Okay, so I'm a few days late, but that's generally how I do things anyway. Oh, I'm supposed to be at work at 10 am Monday? Okay, I'll see ya Thursday!*

So, in honor of a year's worth of Sharpie Chronicles, I'm picking out some of my favorite posts.

The first one. The one that started it all, December 30th, 2008.

My Spring 2009 semester started two weeks after that, which led to a lot of stupid, "there should be a post here but there's not" posts, but also some funny stories. Man, I'm so weird.
After reading through my blog, I'm remembering why I have a whole entire tag for procrastination. That's pretty much the gist of the entire semester.

Speaking of weird, though, read a story about "Out of Order" straws.

You know how my blog's tagline is "sleep is a symptom of caffeine deprivation"? This is why. It occurred to me the other day that, since I don't really consume much caffeine anymore, it's a largely inaccurate statement now. So, hm, I need a new tagline. Suggestions please, kthx.

In April, I had this brilliant idea to do lists of 7. It was cool, but then I forgot about it. But this list of my favorite things, I think, is worth repeating for this year. Also in April, I went to Scotland. That was an amazing trip, and one of the highlights of the year.

In June, our dog sired puppies!

In July, I got a DSLR named Jem!

In August, I almost hit a deer but didn't.

In September, October, and a lot of November, I posted very little. But for my birthday, October 30th, my dad gave me Hawthorne the Wacom Intuos 4.

I can't even believe all the things that have happened in that one year. On the one hand, it seems like sooo many things crammed themselves into a really small space, and I'm thinking - whoa, that happened in November? That just happened. At the same time, paradoxically, things feel so far away. Last summer was forever ago.

Actually, this trip through my own blog has made me a bit reminiscent, and possibly slightly emotional as well. Other memories surface with the more general blog posts, and even my lengthy absences tell a story.
Last year hurt. But it also was incredibly joyous, amazingly beautiful. I learned how to be content, and I know it's something I have to continue to work on. I had my share of confusion and struggles, even some that I brought with me from 2008, but last year was, without a doubt, the best year of my life.

I pray that God will show me more of Himself this year,
I plan to make this year more productive and awesome,
I hope to reach others and be a blessing to them.

Happy New Year, everyone, and here's to awesomeness.

*I have never, ever done that. But once, when I was supposed to be at work at 5 am, I woke up at 11 am.

3 comments:

James said...

Hopefully you can always say that each year of your life was better than the previous ones :D.

Every blessing!

Anonymous said...

Wow. What a year.
I enjoyed clicking all the
underlined/highlighted things.
The straw thing was the best.
As for tag lines, maybe "happiness includes
randomness" (I have been excused of being too
random and like to assure myself with this.)
Not that I think I'm random because to me its normal. Whoops, I'm getting into the blabbing
blah blah blah stage . sorry :(
This has been the person known as Firefly
saying, Good day and awesomeness to you!

tiph said...

Thanks both of you for the well-wishes. :D

Firefly - yeah, the coffee shop got boring sometimes, I had to resort to extreme measures. I like the idea of randomness... I'll add that to my list of ideas. :) And I know what you mean - last week I was going through my really old documents from 2006, like class notes and such, and I have the most random things on there that at the time, it just never occurred to me. So I know what you mean. :D

Post a Comment

who i am!

Tiph used to be this weird hippie chick who sewed things and drank tea and rode bikes and wrote silly things. Then, college came along, and now she's this weird hippie chick with math in her brain and notebooks full of indefinite integrals. And hardly any time to write. This is her space. Thankfully, space is a vacuum and any complaints you may have cannot be heard.

Flickr

Woo! You reached the End of the Page! You rock. Bored yet? If not, click the handy-dandy next button up there (it's there, right?), but otherwise, visit my Flickr page or my Etsy shop. Also, don't forget to subscribe to the blog before you go!

About a third of the credit for this template goes to Ourblogtemplates.com. The rest of that fraction goes to Tiph's incessant tinkering and exploding the CSS 'til it worked.

Back to TOP