Thursday, January 7, 2010

some reflections upon today

Random thought - I remember when I used to think this blog needed to have a niche. You know, to maximize views or something. It'd be awesome to have one, but the cycles I go through like I mentioned yesterday makes it fairly impossible. I guess I don't have a niche!

Moving on.

Today marked the last day of my winter semester of British Literature. Tomorrow I have the final exam, and then that'll be it. For the most part, I really enjoyed reading the various works. I liked that I knew what was going on in history at the times of the writings, and that I have a decent enough background in general literature to catch most of the allusions in poetry and such.

The class ended with an 8-10 page analysis on a piece of literature that I chose, or a compare/contrast on whatever two. Because I find it easier to analyze something when I can hold it against something else, I did the latter. And you know what really annoyed me? I couldn't bring in information about literature from other times. I've had this issue before, and it doesn't make sense to me. Literature is defined by other literature. Yes, by the current events, but by what came before them, and then their influence is measured by what came after.

But no matter.
Since I used Mary Astell's "Some Reflections Upon Marriage" as the first source, it was a fairly feminist essay. While I may not be as extremely feminist as some women (I'm pro-life and believe in marriage!), I don't think that a woman's worth is based on her marital status. Even Biblically, a single woman has more power than a married one because she isn't tied to the responsibilities of a husband/home/family.

So anyway... just a teeny rant.
I feel like I may be getting sick - not good. Hopefully a nice night's sleep will make me feel better... and keep me from ranting anymore. Next thing you know, I'll be raving mad.
But that's only if the zombies get me.

Yeah, sleep's a good idea now.

7 comments:

James said...

What's the relation between a single woman and her father though?

Get well soon :).

Anonymous said...

power without responsibility? that seems either impossible or irresponsible...

tiph said...

James - while at home and under his authority, then she's under his authority of course.

Anonymous - Hmm, it seems that you need to finish reading the sentence. I said very specifically that a single woman "isn't tied to the responsibilities of a husband/home/family." Quite a bit different than no responsibility at all.

I wasn't trying to imply that a single woman has no responsibility (believe me, I know), but that when married, she has to care for her husband's well-being, and then when she has kids, a bunch of little lives depend on her.

Also, I'm in no way denouncing marriage. Heck, I'd like to get married some time in the future. My point was that a woman's worth isn't based - even biblically - on her marriage or lack thereof.

Anonymous said...

From scripture, what does it appear that God's ultimate plan for women is? What was Eve's purpose?

tiph said...

Clearly Eve was made for man, as a helpmeet and a companion.
Do you then claim that unmarried women are falling short of God's will? That all women should be married and shouldn't be happy otherwise?

That's odd, because I can think of several single women who God used. Lydia, in Acts; Mary, sister of Martha and Lazarus, just to name two, served Jesus or the church.

Even more strange is Paul's own recommendation for people to stay single, as he was!! (1 Corinthians 7) How is it then, too, that in heaven, the perfect place, there will be no "marrying or giving in marriage"? (Matthew 22:30)

Still, is any woman who dies unmarried a failure for realizing her "ultimate purpose" and "God's ultimate plan"?

Leah said...

1 Corinthians 7:34 says, "The unmarried woman cares for the things of the Lord, how to be holy in body and spirit. The married woman cares about the things of the world, how to please her husband..."

Women that are single are not falling short of God's plan as long as they are in His plan by being single. I personally know many young ladies in their late 20's early 30's that are not married. They would like to be, but as God hasn't brought anyone across their path it's obviously not His will at this time. And they are content in that and are serving Him. Single people are not not fulfilling God's plan as long as they are in His plan by being single and are serving Him wholeheartedly, whatever He may be having them do.

God's plan will be realized. He will bring whatever He wills to pass, no matter what people do. No one can hinder God's plans or purpose, no matter what you try to do. If someone dies single, that's His plan. Anonymous, what God's plan for you is is different from mine, from Tiph's, from anyone else's. I would like to get married some day as well, but if that's not God's plan, I'm ok with that and will spend my life serving Him.

(my apologies for the double negatives...I find sometimes that's the best way to get a point across.)

tiph said...

Thanks Leah, you put it better than I did. :)

Post a Comment

who i am!

Tiph used to be this weird hippie chick who sewed things and drank tea and rode bikes and wrote silly things. Then, college came along, and now she's this weird hippie chick with math in her brain and notebooks full of indefinite integrals. And hardly any time to write. This is her space. Thankfully, space is a vacuum and any complaints you may have cannot be heard.

Flickr

Woo! You reached the End of the Page! You rock. Bored yet? If not, click the handy-dandy next button up there (it's there, right?), but otherwise, visit my Flickr page or my Etsy shop. Also, don't forget to subscribe to the blog before you go!

About a third of the credit for this template goes to Ourblogtemplates.com. The rest of that fraction goes to Tiph's incessant tinkering and exploding the CSS 'til it worked.

Back to TOP