Saturday, April 3, 2010

be a woman, woman

And I'm back!
I'm currently going through a TON of photos I took on the trip, but while that's happening (and since you'll have to wait 'til tomorrow for a run-down of the awesome events of the mini-vacation), I wanted to share with you a few links I found in my overflowing Google Reader.

The topic? Feminism.
Some of you may remember my not-very-rantish rant about women's roles and my relatively positive view on feminism from the beginning of the year. My entire premise focused on my statement that a woman's worth is not based on her marital status - and I expand that now to explain that she is not a "better woman" if she is married (as some Christian or conservative groups may believe), or single (as some feminist or liberal groups may believe).
We had a bit of a back-and-forth in the comments (if you haven't, by all means read them).

I suppose it's natural that feminism and the doings and results of feminists stay on my radar (even if I'm not always current), being that I am a woman and a Christian, not one to be trampled upon but still firmly believing in God's call for wives to respect and (dare I say it?!) submit themselves to their husbands. (If you know me, you know that submit couldn't possibly mean "be a doormat." Feel free to email or comment* with questions.)
It seems apparent to me that the work of feminists have done a lot of harm to society and women in general. Don't get me wrong - I do appreciate some of the efforts that allow me to vote, go to college, and be seen as a Person, but I do think that quite a few of the girls fighting for rights really went to far. Independence with none of the responsibility? Hmm, that seems like a quick path to pain and heartbreak.

One such feminist, Germaine Greer, is the subject of one dude's (long) article about the loss of modesty in women, and consequently, gentlemanly-ness in men.
The article is by a Brit and for his kin, but can definitely be translated to Americans as well.

Another article by another guy sums itself up perfectly through its title: "Men, the Gender Wars Are Over - We Won." This one is shorter so you have no excuse not to read the whole thing.

This one's by a woman who stays at home, raises chickens, bakes things, sews things, and is very indignant that people (feminists) look down upon her and other stay-at-home mothers who find fulfillment in doing just that - staying at home.

I'm not cool with feminists pushing for "freedom" and then punishing women who are content and rewarding greed. I'm not cool with this rampant attack on femininity and masculinity and responsibility. I'm not cool with the fact that there seems to be so little Biblical direction for girls and women in regards to feminism.

You know the Old Spice commercials? "Be a man, man."
Hey, girls. Be a woman, woman.

*Comments that are on topic are more than welcome. If you have an off-topic comment, there's a little button on the top left that says "email me" - email me! :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It truly is a sad state of affairs that the world stands in today, in regards to a woman's role. With the rise of woman's "responsibility", the things men should be worrying about, they no longer have to. Rather ironically though, I know a lot of girls who are tired of how most guys act. They want guys to be men, though they are still missing part of the point, and would never even come close to submission. Sadly many Christians in the past have been in sore need of treating women, especially their wives, in a godly manner. Honestly though, while feminism has changed some things, if you look at most homes, while the wife may now work, it is much the same as it was 100, 200, or however many years ago you choose. Now I'm a guy, so I guess you can take this opinion with a grain of salt lol, but I would say it takes a lot more courage for a woman to submit herself to her husband, and God, than it does to rise to the top of the corporate ladder, or another feminist dream.

Hopefully thats not too disjointed hehe, oh and idk if I should tag it as awesome or dislike, or both...

Anonymous Too! said...

Oh and I forgot to say that woman should view working at home as fulfilling. I know sometimes housework, cooking, or the like, can be rather tedious at times, but it is also an immense blessing to others around you. About a year ago, I started to wash the dishes at night for my mother, and she has told me that it has been an immense blessing to her. And when she or my brother have ended up washing them for me, it has been a blessing to me.

I also would like to point out that in the Bible wives are "help-meets". While the husband does make the final decision, wives are always seen as helping to make those decisions. A husband should always first go to his wife and seek her advice on a subject before making a decision. I've heard multiple people say that the one time they did not follow their wives advice on something, it ended up turning out badly. Now don't get a big head about yourself, but often times God reveals to others what we are at times to stubborn-headed to see for ourselves. I also believe that while it is the woman's responsibility to make sure the house duties are taken care of, I think the husband should at least try and keep in touch with what is happening in the house, if not do his best to also help around the house.

Hopefully that as well makes sense, and my horrid grammar dosnt make your brain explode in horror... :-p

tiph said...

Good points you have there.
I will disagree with the general statement that things are the same in the home as they were any given number of years ago. This is simply not true. :) Depending on what specific period and how you look at it, one might see the changes as better or worse - though in my opinion it seems to fluctuate back and forth. Nothing has ever been perfect, but there have been more and/or less favorable circumstances than now, and vice-versa.

I find it interesting that you say that a woman "should" find housework fulfilling. I don't necessarily agree with that. I think anyone - male or female - should find contentment in anything they do, and a general spirit of thankfulness will likely result in enjoyment of whatever task. I suppose it's along the same lines as not all women are supposed to be homemakers/wives/mothers. And there's nothing wrong with that. But we do have a responsibility to act like women - which doesn't necessarily mean only wear dresses, stay at home ironing and baking, or being the empty-headed submissives that were the "desired woman" of 50, 100 years ago. On the contrary, I think we have a responsibility to use our talents and smarts - and you know, for some women that means staying at home and putting that to use for her family, and for others it means being a missionary, for others it means having a business.

I don't think there should be a "try to keep in touch with what's going on in the house" so much as "I want to meet your needs because I love you," for both people.

Eesh, this comment is long. :D

Post 3 :-p said...

Hmph well you did basically ask for discussion, so you should have expected things to get long... :-p

Well... I totally forgot what I was saying with that comment, so idk lol. :D

Well thats part of what I'm getting at. Also, that they shouldn't see housework as a totally thankless, in a way useless task. Hopefully that makes sense, I'm not finding the exact words I want.

*Got lost wandering around flickr*

Yes, that is completely true. I guess I just meant, if for some reason the husband couldn't help out around the house, then he should at least try and keep in touch with things. Make sense?

tiph said...

Of course. :)

Ah yeah, I see what you mean. Even if there aren't tangible rewards now, it's still good, viable, godly, and necessary reasons for doing the housework. Sorta like any other job, I guess.

Yep. :)

Anonymous said...

Excellent, now we just need more people to comment to make it more exciting! :-p

Post a Comment

who i am!

Tiph used to be this weird hippie chick who sewed things and drank tea and rode bikes and wrote silly things. Then, college came along, and now she's this weird hippie chick with math in her brain and notebooks full of indefinite integrals. And hardly any time to write. This is her space. Thankfully, space is a vacuum and any complaints you may have cannot be heard.

Flickr

Woo! You reached the End of the Page! You rock. Bored yet? If not, click the handy-dandy next button up there (it's there, right?), but otherwise, visit my Flickr page or my Etsy shop. Also, don't forget to subscribe to the blog before you go!

About a third of the credit for this template goes to Ourblogtemplates.com. The rest of that fraction goes to Tiph's incessant tinkering and exploding the CSS 'til it worked.

Back to TOP