Saturday, April 24, 2010

i hate television

Hear that sound? That was the sound of my 200th post whizzing by. I'm fairly certain it was using more than its share of electricity.

I am not a fan of television.
Most people would agree that it's largely a waste of time, and for me, well - it's just not worth it. It's not like there aren't some "cool" or "funny" shows out there (I guess there are? I mean, people do spend a lot of time watching them...). But when it comes down to me sitting and staring at a box that gives me headaches for an hour or two, or doing something else (anything else), I almost always pick the latter option. Yeah, TV gives me headaches. It's a combination of the high frequency noise that I can hear and programs showing five kazillion frames per second.

That said, I wasted two hours sitting on the couch in front of the television today. With my siblings. Now, I've never bought into the whole "Oh, well it's family bonding" thing in regards to TV. Seriously? Having no interaction and sitting passively next to each other is bonding? Dood, when I was a kid, family bonding was wacking each other with sticks or making brownies or something.

But I digress.

Two hours. Me. Watching TV.
Watching a random show that, did I actually want to waste two hours, wouldn't have been my first choice. Or my second or third, either. That earned me a nice headache, a general feeling of lethargy, and nothing done.
Thankfully, I have two amazing siblings who helped peel apples and load the dishwasher with me, and directly beneath me is a clean kitchen and a deconstructed apple pie just waiting for tomorrow.

Yesterday I took the kids to the park with three boxes of pizza. We caught the golden hour and I managed to get some really pretty shots of the kids flying the kite against the sunset. Image dump below.





I'm getting back into the swing of photography, and it makes me feel happy.
On a related note, I found this graph about a photographer's life, and it made me laugh at how accurate it is. :D

Until next time, Sharpies.

5 comments:

James said...

You may not like TV, but this might interest you:
http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2010/04/introducing-creativelive-com-worldwide-free-creative-education-updated/

Anonymous said...

Yay for new Masthead!
It's your sci-fi bug friend here, (Firefly -I guess I need a new name huh?)
Just wanted to say hi and let you know that major awesomeness still resides!
And I'm glad you (re) discovered The Beatles!
(Love those guys - it's a bug thing).
sincera,
ummmmm...... ME

tiph said...

James - Interesting. It has the one of the same issues that I have with TV shows, though - you have to build your life around a particular time to watch it.

Firefly! You're back! I was wondering where you had disappeared to. :)
If you get a new name I probably won't know who you are, so I vote that it stays. :D
See ya around!

Robin Bastien said...

"Suffering is the gateway to enlightenment"

I too am not much of a fan either, I haven't had TV for ages, but for the past two months I've been in Cuba and the noise persists throughout the house from the time I'm awake until I go to bed. It's good discipline to tolerate any potential annoyances around you.

It also depends on what you're watching! Once in a blue moon you can catch something that's awesome, usually on discovery channel haha. I'm surprised with what plays on TV these days - so many empty reality shows. Was it not your own discretion to watch TV for two hours? :p

Cheers!

tiph said...

Agreed on all points, Robin. Basically I need to stop being so whiny. :P

Yeah, I think it was discovery channel that was on! And no, I was TIED TO THE CHAIR WITH MY EYES TAPED OPEN.
Or... maybe I wasn't. ^__^

Post a Comment

who i am!

Tiph used to be this weird hippie chick who sewed things and drank tea and rode bikes and wrote silly things. Then, college came along, and now she's this weird hippie chick with math in her brain and notebooks full of indefinite integrals. And hardly any time to write. This is her space. Thankfully, space is a vacuum and any complaints you may have cannot be heard.

Flickr

Woo! You reached the End of the Page! You rock. Bored yet? If not, click the handy-dandy next button up there (it's there, right?), but otherwise, visit my Flickr page or my Etsy shop. Also, don't forget to subscribe to the blog before you go!

About a third of the credit for this template goes to Ourblogtemplates.com. The rest of that fraction goes to Tiph's incessant tinkering and exploding the CSS 'til it worked.

Back to TOP