Thursday, June 3, 2010

i belong in a forest

This past week, in Oklahoma, I was reminded what my favorite sorts of places are. This won't sound so strange (why would I need to be reminded of something that's my favorite?) when you look around you and realize that, while you might be quite content with your current surroundings - so much so, that you actually love it - there are certain things that you have long established as "the best" and simply aren't living that at the moment.

I feel like I'm being even more confusing.
Let me clarify by finishing my story.

While in Oklahoma, I was reminded what my favorite sorts of places were. Each year we stay at my grandparent's house, I automatically get the sunroom, which is an addition to the house that is made of three walls of glass against the side of the house. There is no bed, just a couch, and at night if I leave the lights on too long, bugs come in and fly around. In the morning, if I don't wake up early enough, the room gets too hot to sleep (because I like heavy blankets).


Yet, I can see the fireflies while I lay on the couch. I can see the moon from where I lay on the pillow, and in the morning the sun comes up and streams light into the glass room. It's beautiful. During the day, when I want to get away from the many people in the house, I go to the sunroom where I usually can stay alone because it's too warm for most people's comfort (I like warm!).

The second place I found took a trek through tall grass and biting insects to get to: an old abandoned stable adjacent to a creek surrounded by trees. A lot of the area where we stay is ranch land - a tree here or there at the most. But here I had a whole clump of forest unexpectedly close by. There's nothing like a forest for serenity and peace. I'm happiest when I'm around trees, with the light filtering through their leaves and roots and branches everywhere. (Interesting fact: my sister feels the same way I do - only about open fields.)


I'm blessed to live in a house with lots of windows and a very shady (and therefore tree-y) yard. I love my room with the windows facing north so I get good sunlight morning and night. But I do miss the glass room and that mini-forest (mini-forest especially).

What are your favorite places?m

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like mountains covered in aspen trees, and mountains in general, forests made up of any tree except all pines, I like the beach, especially when its a bit chilly, I like open fields, though my favorite place of all is where those I love are.

Post a Comment

who i am!

Tiph used to be this weird hippie chick who sewed things and drank tea and rode bikes and wrote silly things. Then, college came along, and now she's this weird hippie chick with math in her brain and notebooks full of indefinite integrals. And hardly any time to write. This is her space. Thankfully, space is a vacuum and any complaints you may have cannot be heard.

Flickr

Woo! You reached the End of the Page! You rock. Bored yet? If not, click the handy-dandy next button up there (it's there, right?), but otherwise, visit my Flickr page or my Etsy shop. Also, don't forget to subscribe to the blog before you go!

About a third of the credit for this template goes to Ourblogtemplates.com. The rest of that fraction goes to Tiph's incessant tinkering and exploding the CSS 'til it worked.

Back to TOP