Monday, March 21, 2011

lists of things

I'm not particularly good at remembering things.
I especially hate it when I'll think of something I really need to tell someone, or go do, and the person or the thing that needs to be done is right in the other room, and I go to say/do it and forget within five seconds of the thought. Four hours later, usually in a car by myself where I can't do anything, I will remember, and I will remember how quickly I forgot. And that's just if I have to do one thing. More than one? Forget it.
Um, literally, I guess.

In the past several months or so, but especially recently, I've realized that if I number the things I need to do, I have a better chance of remembering. If I know that when I wake up in the morning, I need to do four things before I leave the house, I can be like, "Oh hey, I have this vague recollection of the number Four. It could possibly be a reference to that book I just finished reading or more probably is a clue to an internal list." Apparently it's easier for me to remember numbers than a list of activities.

So it's great: I rub the sleep out of my eyes and say, "Yes! Four things I have to do before I leave the house; I've got this. First thing was get the Kindle off the charger and into my backpack. Second thing was copy physics homework - no wait, that was the third thing. What was the second thing?" Pause. Long pause. "Okay, fourth thing... Find my water bottle. What was the second thing?"

Yes, it's important that these things are in order. You can have haphazard lists with things jumping all out of their assigned space and still expect to remember things.

Actually, I can't expect to remember things no matter what.

At least I know I'm forgetting something, I tell myself, as if that helps anything at all. Yeah, sure, at least now I'm going to freak out about everything and just go ahead take everything in my room with me just in case it was that thing I was forgetting. But it gets even worse when my mind starts being all, Oh, the second thing was definitely to remember your lunch bag. I think. I mean, if that didn't make it to the list, it should have been on there, right? Wait wait, no, the second thing was to not forget your driver license, I'm pretty sure that's what it was. Yeah.

So then I think I know what the second thing on my internal list was, but I have this nagging fear in the back of my mind that I really did completely forget it and I've replaced something intrinsically and absolutely important with something of extreme insignificance.

All that was to explain to you that I forgot my math homework at home this morning, the math homework for which I sacrificed hours of sleep.

I should go. I have three things I need to do before I go to sleep tonight.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

who i am!

Tiph used to be this weird hippie chick who sewed things and drank tea and rode bikes and wrote silly things. Then, college came along, and now she's this weird hippie chick with math in her brain and notebooks full of indefinite integrals. And hardly any time to write. This is her space. Thankfully, space is a vacuum and any complaints you may have cannot be heard.

Flickr

Woo! You reached the End of the Page! You rock. Bored yet? If not, click the handy-dandy next button up there (it's there, right?), but otherwise, visit my Flickr page or my Etsy shop. Also, don't forget to subscribe to the blog before you go!

About a third of the credit for this template goes to Ourblogtemplates.com. The rest of that fraction goes to Tiph's incessant tinkering and exploding the CSS 'til it worked.

Back to TOP